Sunday, October 25, 2009

One Year Anniversary

Our one year anniversary just passed and we did the standard, out for dinner sort of thing. It was really nice. We have been together for 9 years total so to tell you the truth I really didn't want a big dramatic production of a day. I can understand if you do, but I think life gets so busy, it was nice for us just to have a quiet evening together. Once we got home we opened the fantastic bottle of wine we got on our honeymoon (yes it traveled home with us in our suitcase) and sliced up the cake from our wedding. (to my surprise the cake was still really good. I thought for sure it would have freezer burn)

I guess I didn't expect to feel the giddy pleasure of reminiscing about our wedding day, which was a nice and unexpected feeling. We talked about how I woke up so early because I couldn't sleep and I sent him a text at like 6:oo AM. He of course had no trouble sleeping at all. And it just went on like that all day for us with little bits that we would remember together. You put so much time and effort into one day. It should be something that you remember forever.

The other thing we did once we got home, which also was initiated by my husband, was a reflection on our relationship. We asked ourselves the questions of where we are, what do we need to work on, what did we want to do in the beginning that maybe we have forgotten about. Truthfully, I was shocked that this was his idea, but i guess if there are things that maybe need to be addressed in a relationship now is the time to speak up and he benefits from it. All in all it was a really great conversation that got us talking about all kinds of things that we don't because life gets so busy from day to day.

The last thing we did was read the special messages we received at our receptions. We decided to do an alternative guest book. Since we were married in the fall, i found a beautiful ceramic pumpkin cookie jar and asked my guest to write us a message that we would read each year at our anniversary date.

I want to know what you have done to make your anniversaries special. What traditions do you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment